Sunday, December 13, 2009

Ch. 5, 6, & 11; Article; Video

Article- "How Children Learn To Read"
When reading this article, the first thing that caught my eye was how they said, "reading skills are like building blocks." I don't beleive they could of put that in better words. Children do need great effective reading instruction in order for them to read, and read well. It's not something that just comes to children in a blink of an eye. It takes time, effort, and effective instruction. It's also true that there is no one or better way to teach children to read. Everyone learns at different paces and ways. But I do believe the balance approach and effecting reading programs will help greatly. As for children with a learning disability, it is alot harder and more frustrating for them to learn how to read, and even harder to teach them. It takes time, effort, patience, etc. I beleive it is very important to pay attention to any early warning signs that may became noticable in order to help children. I believe this article hit the correct spots when talking about how children learn to read.
Video- I viewed the video about a boy names Jonathon who has dyslexia. He was just a normal boy who hated school like most others, but for him it was a different reason. All his friends could read but he was having problems. When diagnosed with dyslexia, he was able to get this help he needed. With the technology now-a-days, it's possible to detect theses kinds of problems. But think about when they didn't have the technology to diagnose this. Children would keep going on with life and most likely hate it. Now that Jonathon got the testing and help needed, he enjoyed school alot more then before.
Chapter 5- This chapter was about Formal Literacy Assessment and Indirect Measures. It reviewed assessment, evaluation, standardized tests and score and so on. All of which I am familiar with from my undergraduate program. It also reviewed the purposes of testing (what is the nature, who will be taking it, etc.) which are all very important to remember.
Chapter 6- Informal Literacy Assessment of Direct Measures. When reviewing this chapter, it was alot of new information to me. I don't recall having been taught much of this before. It gave good insights for me and teaching methods, and all will be very helpful for my later years.
Chapter 11- Reading Comprehension and Foundations. Again, most of the information in this chapter is new to me. But is very informative and helpful. The theories and models were interesting to read about; along with the prereading, active reading and postreadings.
After reading the three chapters, I know I will have to review chapters 6 & 11 due to it being new information for me. But overall, it seems very interesting to learn about.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lindsey!
    I would have to agree with you on the article and how "reading is like building blocks". I think that is a perfect analogy. I would have to agree with all of the chapter nformation that you wrote as well. It is all very important information to remember when dealing with reading! Great Work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Reading is like building blocks" is the first think that caught my eye in the article as well. You have to start from the very beginning and work your way up. When talking about Jonathon, I like how you mentioned technology. I never thought about that when watching the video. Your exactly right-Children would keep going on with life and most likely hate it and that would just be a horrible feeling. It is amazing what we can do with technology now and how it can help so many people.

    ReplyDelete